Thursday, March 1, 2012

8 Lessons We Can Learn From Snoopy


Who doesn’t love Snoopy? He’s been a favorite for generations. (Thank you, Mr. Schulz!) I remember my dad reading "Peanuts" comics to me when I was four or five-years-old, and how much I loved Snoopy back then.

When my son was little he adored Snoopy. He had Snoopy t-shirts, pants, videos, framed art and toys. One Christmas I prayed and asked God to let me find a Snoopy stuffed animal to give to my baby boy. I went to Target and there it was...the ONLY stuffed Snoopy on the shelf! (God does care about the small stuff!)

I found a cute app for my iPad, "Snoopy Street Fair", that I play when I have a few minutes for mindless fun. They did a fabulous job creating this app with the original characters, music and a mischievous Snoopy!

While playing this game I've thought about some of the things we can learn from Snoopy. 

This list started with five and could probably go to twenty or more, but for today, here are eight things Snoopy can teach us.
8 Lessons We Can Learn From Snoopy:
Dancing is Important
Dancing is good exercise; it will get your heart rate up. Dancing releases endorphins that make you feel good, therefore you'll feel happy and better about yourself, and it will increase your positive outlook on life!
Dreaming Big is Important
We all have dreams, that secret thing that God has placed in our hearts that gives us reason to get up every day. Your dream may not be fulfilled right away, but dreams do come true if you follow God's plan.
Friends are Important
We all need friends to share life with. God didn't put us here to walk this planet alone. We weren't meant to walk through happy or sad times by ourselves. Surround yourself with your loved ones and make sure they know what they mean to you. Don't isolate yourself.
Fun and Imagination are Important
Go crazy! Have fun! Life is too short to be so serious! Go sledding, ride bikes in the rain, play Barbies or Superheroes with your kids, but have fun! And get creative!
Laughter is Important
Laughter is as good medicine. (Proverbs 17:22) It's true, when you laugh you feel better, happier, lighter. Make it a point to laugh every day. I have a friend who "practices laughing". He especially likes to do this in public to embarrass his kids, but what great memories they will have of laughter with their daddy! Laugh! (And, it's contagious!)
Love is Important
It's important to love the ones around us. Life is more enjoyable when when we're not holding grudges or being angry. Need an example of love? Look what Jesus did for you. He showed us unconditional love when He died on a cross for our sins. It's hard to love unconditionally sometimes, but with God's help, you can do it. Look at Snoopy hugging Charlie Brown. Nobody else likes ole Chuck, but Snoopy loves unconditionally!
Mealtime is Important
Oh, now we're talkin'! Ya gotta eat! The problem is we don't eat enough. What? Breakfast is usually coffee and a bagel, (bad) then working through lunch and sometimes a fast food supper. Eat, but make sure you're eating healthy, whole-foods that nourish your body and give you energy. Remember the dancing and fun parts? You can't do those if you're not taking care of your body with healthy food at regular times throughout the day.
Rest is Important
Doctors aren't trying to suck the fun out of your day when they tell you to get eight hours of sleep at night. Your body needs the time to restore itself and you need the break from activity. But rest also means to rest during the day. Take that 15-minute break in the morning and afternoon to put your feet up, close your eyes and breathe deep. You will feel more energized and be more productive.
What would you add to this list of things we can learn from Snoopy?
Read my previous post: Music Monday - Xavier Cugat
Read my next post: Birthday: My Daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: I reserve the right to remove comments that I feel are offensive, rude, or off-topic.