Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Do You Face-Time

How much face-time do you have with your family?

I love my iPhone. I use it a lot. I like Words With Friends, I use the IMDB app when watching TV, I check Facebook and Twitter, and I post to Instagram. I'm as guilty as the next guy of reaching for my phone when I'm bored or have time to kill.

But I'm saddened at the trend I see around me lately; parents using their phone at dinner, at the restaurant.

A few months ago while having dinner at Panera, I noticed a woman in her mid-30s on her phone. Her back was to me, so I could see she was playing a Tetris-type game. Across the table from her were to beautiful little girls, I guess ages 9 and 11. They were quietly eating their dinner, not talking to each other, not talking to their mom.

Two weeks ago my husband and I went to Culver's. There was a family having dinner in a booth to my left. The entire time the dad had his eyes glued to his phone, while his wife and daughters (in the 4- to 6-year-old range) conversed quietly among themselves.

The worst was last week, when again we were at Culver's. One table had two young ladies in their early 20s who were each on their phone. I joked they were texting each other instead of talking.

One table had a group of teens, all glued to their phones. Another table had a young couple, each with a phone in their hand.

We looked round the restaurant and noticed at every. single. table. (probably 12 in all) somebody had a phone in their hand! Our table and one other had a phone sitting on it, but not being used.

Then there was one family - a mom, a dad and two young girls. What? No phone? No! They were talking, laughing and engaged with each other! The only table in the whole place with no phone in sight!

I was very proud of that couple who took the time to be a part of their children's lives, who made their girls a priority. I wanted to say something to them, but they left before I could - laughing and holding hands on the way out the door.

My son made the comment about how sad it is that parents aren't going to remember their children growing up because they were too busy looking at their phones. Truth!

And looking at what? Facebook? Twitter? Posting their cheeseburger on Instagram?

Parents, put your phones down and engage with your family. They need you! You're missing opportunities to have relationship with your family, you're allowing the trivial to take you away from time that will never come your way again. Your kids will grow up and you won't be able to get this time back.

You're missing it! Life is passing you by as you try to beat Candy Crush! Put your phone down and live in the moment.

I heard a pastor say that when he attends meetings they all put their phones face-down in the center of the table so they aren't distracted. Maybe your family can do the same...

And spend some real face-time together!

I saw this video posted today by Rhett and Link. It perfectly makes the point I've wanted to blog about these past few weeks. I think you'll like it!



Read my previous post: Music Monday: Dylan Arms (American Idol Season 12)
Read my next post: Who's-Ever Next

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: I reserve the right to remove comments that I feel are offensive, rude, or off-topic.