Monday, February 27, 2012

Music Monday - Xavier Cugat


This week's Music Monday is Xavier Cugat & His Orchestra.

I first heard Cugat's music while watching old movies on American Movie Classics when it still played the old classics from the 20s, 30s and 40s. Now I watch those movies on Turner Classic Movies.

One of our favorite movies, Neptune's Daughter, has a scene with Xavier Cugat (1900-1090) playing a song while the Red Skelton and Betty Garret characters sing and dance. Great stuff! (The movie also starred Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalban.) (Watch the trailer here.)

I bought this album, Mambo At The Waldorf, a year or two ago and love it! It's full of happy, fun songs, and of course I LOVE all of the saxophones!

A few songs from the Mambo At The Waldorf album:

Cuca: (Ahhh, listen to those tight saxophone harmonies!)


Jamay:


Mambo Gordo:


La Cumparsita:


Have you heard of Xavier Cugat before? What do you think? Aren't these songs fun?

Read my previous Music Monday post: John Denver
Read my previous post: I'm Going To Victory Lane
Read my next post: 8 Lessons We Can Learn From Snoopy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: I reserve the right to remove comments that I feel are offensive, rude, or off-topic.