Friday, February 24, 2012

I'm Going To Victory Lane


(c) 6/17/07, Kathy Fannon: MIS June Race (From Turn 3)

It's Daytona 500 weekend, the race we NASCAR fans wait for all winter long, the first race of the season (NASCAR's "Super Bowl"), so I thought I'd share these thoughts I had after attending a race a couple of years ago. 

I've been a NASCAR fan for 11 years. In June 2007 we traveled to Michigan International Speedway, our 5th time there. Wow, what an experience! Races are great on TV, but in person it’s a whole different thing!

I like to be in my seat for the pre-race driver introductions. Once they are introduced at the main stage, they load two-by-two into the back of pickups with their names decaled on the sides and are driven around the track to wave at the crowd.

It's fun hearing the boos move like a wave through the crowd for the...oh...less than favorite drivers, as they pass. The Jeff Gordon fans boo for Dale Junior and the Dale Earnhardt, Jr. fans boo for Jeff; and the people who aren't fans of either boo for them both. I'm not a fan of either of them, but I do try to refrain from booing. I like to think I'm a better spectator than that and try to be an example of good sportsmanship to my son. But I do get a kick out of listening as the crowd does it. (Although, there are times I can't help a boo or two escaping from my lips. Oops!)

I love when the drivers are given the command to start their engines and they roar to life. It's such an exciting sound when those engines rumble past at 190mph and rattle our seats! (Ear plugs are a must.)

I love the smell of the high-octane fuel and the sight of the cars as they glisten in the sunlight with their dancing paint schemes. So beautiful.

It's great to come home with bits of tire on my clothing as a reminder of the race and my day at the track. 

I love watching a race in person because I get to watch who I want to watch and not who the TV producers tell me I'm going to watch. The last time I was able to attend a race my favorite driver was still racing, but has since retired. 

OK, non-race fans, stick with me here. I have an excellent point coming!

Using binoculars comes in handy at this two-mile track, as the opposite end is one-mile away. The only time I didn't need the binoculars was when my favorite driver was right in front of us in Turn 3; I lowered them just long enough to watch his car pass in front of me, then picked him up again in Turn 4. Ohhh, what a beautiful sight! What bliss to watch my favorite driver as he made his loops around the track. It's a thing of beauty to watch those 43 cars dance on the track and jockey for position. 

As I was watching my favorite driver, rarely taking my eyes off of his car, the Lord spoke to me, and it was a bit convicting. 

Do I keep my eyes on Jesus the way I kept my eyes on my favorite driver? Do I follow Jesus at every turn and every straightaway? Do I put binoculars to my eyes when He seems so small? And when He seems small, He really isn't...He's just the same size, like the race car at the far end of the track. He only seems small because I'm the one who moved. (Maybe to the opposite end of the track?)

Do I listen to Him as closely as the drivers listen to their crew chiefs as the crew chiefs tell them what to do or what adjustments need to be made, or whether or not there is danger at the side as they drive 3-wide into the corner, at 190mph?


Do I "go home" with bits of Jesus on me to remind me of His love? Do I have His "high-octane" fragrance on me wherever I go?

There may be 43 other things going on in my life that may be as enjoyable to watch as the 43 cars on the track. Or maybe some of those 43 other things may not be so enjoyable, like when Tony Stewart spun in front of us and had to go to the garage for repairs, re-entering the race 70 laps down.

But through the exciting "lead changes" and the "bad crashes" of my life, am I keeping my eyes as trained on Jesus, the One Thing that matters, as I was on that beautiful, blue car on a Sunday at the track? I'm afraid to say that I haven't been. 

So I've committed to keep my eyes focused on Jesus. If I keep my eyes on Him and listen to Him, He will always take me to Victory Lane, even if my race gets rained out. (Because even a rained out race has a winner!)



Any NASCAR fans in the house? Who will you be cheering for on Sunday? Remember to keep your focus on Jesus!


Read my previous post: Daisy Sunshine
Read my next post: Music Monday - Xavier Cugat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: I reserve the right to remove comments that I feel are offensive, rude, or off-topic.