Monday, February 20, 2012

Music Monday - John Denver

One more week of super sappy, nostalgic music from my past, then I have a great variety of musical styles lined up for this series!

John Denver will forever be linked, in my mind, with my childhood.

When I was in elementary school, probably about 4th grade, my mom fell in love with John Denver. In my memory, John Denver was all she played on the record player if there was any music playing at all. For years it seemed he was all she listened to. (I'm sure he wasn't, but that's how I remember it.)

We even saw him in concert at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo....twice! The first time we were on the main floor about 9 rows back and when he entered toward the stage he used the aisle next to us. It was a thrill. I remember the concerts to be great shows and some of my favorite songs (or versions of his popular songs) are from his live album "An Evening with John Denver".

But I got sick of John Denver. By high school I didn't care if I ever heard him sing again.

About 10 years ago my brother downloaded some music onto my computer, with a few John Denver songs included. One day I sat down to play Solitaire and clicked on the music to listen. Something about hearing those old John Denver songs ripped at my heart and tears welled in my eyes. There was a certain comfort in the music, a transporting in time back to my childhood. 

Even today I still get a little teary-eyed when I listen to John Denver, and I DO listen to him often. And when I do, I can still see my mom smiling and singing at the top of her lungs. I'm glad for that memory.

Back Home Again - Just because it's so easy to sing with.


Sweet Surrender - the song that, for an unknown reason to me, chokes me up quicker than any of his other songs. Please pass a Kleenex.


Mother Nature's Son - I had NO idea this was a Lennon/McCartney song until today; I always thought John Denver wrote it.


I could share tons of his songs with you, but I'll refrain. Some of my favorites aren't on YouTube or the quality is too poor to post. Bummer. Good thing I have them on my iPod!

What songs or singers do you remember your parents liking when you were young? Do you still enjoy them today or avoid them at all cost? :) Leave comments, I'd love to hear your story!

Read my previous post: Surrender
Read my next post: Apps: Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: I reserve the right to remove comments that I feel are offensive, rude, or off-topic.