Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Main Liner Lures

(c) Kathy Fannon; Lapel pin for Main Liner fishing lures

A few weeks ago we enjoyed a small gathering at a friend's house. After dinner our host asked us to write down a little-known fact about ourselves, without including our name. We gave him our slips of paper, he read each one aloud, then we took turns trying to match the fact with the person.

I was happy to say that nobody guessed mine: I made fishing lures.

As a high school senior, I participated in the co-op program, working in the catalog department at Sear's. After graduating I was able to transfer my employment from Holland to Grand Rapids to continue working at Sear's, thanks to the Holland store manager, Mr. McNulty. I worked part-time in the audit department with some great ladies. (Looking back, I never should have left.)

About a year-and-a-half later a request was made at Wednesday night church service. A member was looking for a young person to work in his shop making fishing lures. I was the first one to call, so I got the job.

For awhile I worked at Sear's and for Jack, then eventually left Sear's to work solely for Jack.

Jack had a small shop in his spacious backyard where two other employees and I made Main Liner fishing lures.

Gary was the paint guy. He stood all day in a little alcove and spray-painted lures.

Eleanor and I put tape on one half of the lure and trimmed off the extra. We also attached the hooks, all done by hand.

Jack showed me how to use the blister-pack machine and there were days when I stood and packaged the lures. I enjoyed putting the little plastic container in the holder, dropping a lure in, placing the cardboard backing on and pressing it to heat and seal it.

I don't remember how long I worked for Jack, maybe 5 or 6 months. I left Jack's operation to work as a receptionist in the design department of a local upscale furniture store; that was much more my style. But I did have fun making lures and working with a great bunch of people.

What little-known fact about you can you share? 

Read my previous post: Eureka!
Read my next post: Today's Tackle: The Silverware Drawer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: I reserve the right to remove comments that I feel are offensive, rude, or off-topic.