Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dinner By Candlelight

I've reached a stage in my life when most nights the kids aren't around at dinner time.

My daughter works full-time and goes to school full-time so most days she's gone from morning until after 9:00 at night.

My son is in his senior year of high school and is busy with his multiple band rehearsals after school and into the night - pep band, jazz band and pit orchestra for the school play. Otherwise he's at work or at church.

Sometimes it's nice because nobody is around to complain about what's put on the table. "I don't like that."

Sometimes it's nice because my husband and I get to enjoy a quiet dinner without burping at the table. Yes, it's the nearly-23-year-old daughter who does that! (And she's amazingly proud of her skills.)

Most times it's not nice. Even though my offspring can be loud and rowdy, they are always fun to have around and I enjoy laughing together with them at meal time.

On occasion my husband has to work late so it's just me, by myself, for dinner. Last night was one of those times.

But instead of eating in front of the TV or computer, or even my iPad, I sat at the kitchen counter (where my husband and I eat when it's just the two of us), put Chris Botti on my iPod (ahhhhh, smoooooth dude!), dimmed the lights, lit candles and ate slowly and enjoyed the atmosphere.

Here was part of my view:
(I had leftover Chicken Noodle Soup!)

My view in the daylight!

Too often we rush through meals while multi-tasking; we pride ourselves on being able to do five things at once (and not really doing any of them well). But sometimes we need to just slow down, notice our surroundings, really taste our food (and chew it well) and enjoy the life God has given us.

Set an atmosphere in your home tonight at dinner, whether it's just you or a table of eight. Dim the lights, light some candles and play soft music in the background to help gain some focus, relax and find a little peace. You might be surprised at the difference it makes!

What rituals or traditions does your family have at mealtime?

You may also enjoy Candles and Snow

Read my previous post: Super Bowl and Indianapolis
Read my next post: Ray Lewis - Leader


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: I reserve the right to remove comments that I feel are offensive, rude, or off-topic.