Thursday, January 26, 2012

Happy Birthday, Michigan


Today is Michigan's 175th Birthday!

On my dad's side, my great-great grandparents immigrated to Michigan from Denmark in 1868, when Michigan was only thirty-one years old.

Another set of great grandparents immigrated to Michigan, from Lithuania in 1906.

On my mom's side, great-great grandparents came to America from The Netherlands in 1893.

Michigan is known as the Auto Capital of the world, but West Michigan is also known for its furniture manufacturing. My grandpa retired from American Seating in 1974 after working there 32 years.

Grandpa's ID Card from 1942. Wow, he was only 30-years-old!

Grandpa's (l) Retirement Party, 32 years later in 1974

Today is also the 101st wedding anniversary of my Great Grandma and Grandpa Durdle. I wonder if they knew it was Michigan's birthday when they got married.

Michigan's state bird is the robin. I LOVE robins! When I see them in the spring I know spring is here! There may be another snowfall or two, but for the most part the long winter and icy-cold temperatures are over!

Michigan also has some fabulous farming! I realize how blessed I am to live in "America's Salad Bowl" and have so much wonderful, fresh produce from May to December at the farmers markets that pop up all over. My favorite is in Holland.

I love living in West Michigan. It's tough this time of year when it's so cold and gray, and usually quite snowy. (We've had a very mild winter so far.) It's so easy for us to complain about the temperatures, the bad driving, the cars and footwear dirty with salt and slush, but our memories are short when we see those robins coming back. Spring, summer and fall are so beautiful and rich with color, and experiencing the change in seasons is so much fun!

And winter can be quite beautiful, too. Especially when we don't have to drive in it!

My happy places are found in West Michigan; I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Read my previous post: Apps: Calendar
Read my next post: Battle With A Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: I reserve the right to remove comments that I feel are offensive, rude, or off-topic.