Monday, March 26, 2012

Music Monday - "Anything Goes"

JHS "Anything Goes" Set

Last week my son was in the pit orchestra for his high school's musical production of "Anything Goes". There have been months of rehearsals, a week of performances and now it's over. Another "last time" item checked off the list before graduation in two months.

The kids did a fabulous job. We have an incredible amount of talented kids in our area so the spring musicals are always fun to attend.

The music and lyrics for "Anything Goes" are by Cole Porter. I had not heard of this musical before, but certainly many of the songs are familiar, like "Friendship", "You're the Top" and "It's De-Lovely" being the most popular.

This week's Music Monday is a song that I don't have on my iPod. **gasp!** But in honor of "our" kids, and my son, I'm sharing "Anything Goes" by Ethel Merman. This is a 1979 television version, but she played Reno Sweeny, opposite of Bing Crosby's Billy Crocker, in the 1936 movie. Before that, Merman originally played Reno Sweeny on Broadway for 420 shows, beginning in 1934.



Read my previous Music Monday post: "The Woodpecker Song" by Glenn Miller
Read my previous post: Birthday: Mother-In-Law (A Tribute)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: I reserve the right to remove comments that I feel are offensive, rude, or off-topic.