Tuesday, January 31, 2012

This Is MUSIC?

I created an "80s" playlist on my iPod that currently has 62 songs on it. And being the freak that I am, I have them in chronological order. It's an interesting way to listen to them, to hear how the "sound" changes through the decade. (Although the biggest change happens on my "60s" playlist.)

Last night I was listening to my "80s" playlist while drying my hair. The first song is, "Give It All You Got" by Chuck Mangione. It made me miss playing my tenor sax, which I haven't touched in over a decade.

I also have some Billy Joel, Queen, and even Leo Sayer singing, "More Than I Can Say". All fairly musical in sound, yes? (Oh, my! That Leo Sayer video is worth the watch. Love that cheesy 80s stuff!)

As I began to use the flat-iron on my hair, "Whip It"  by Devo played and I danced to the techno-alternative sound.

Then it dawned on me.

This is music?

I like to pick on today's so-called music, because it is severely lacking in musical style. There are no melodious tunes to hum and get stuck in my head, no rockin' horn section with awesome harmonies and deep bari-sax parts, just.....noise. Repetitive phrases, beat boxes, hip-hop, and what's the new one...Dub Step? (I don't know...I'm too old.)

I'm so uncool, I don't even know what songs to give as examples. I don't argue that it takes ability to write the instrumentation for it and put rhyming lyrics out there; that is definitely a talent I don't have. But to call it music?

Flash back to my "Whip It". I have to believe my grandparents and their generation thought the same thing when they heard songs like that.

"You call this music?" (But I would argue it does have a tune to get stuck in your head.)

These amazing people came of age during the glamorous 1930s movie era and the swing sound of the 1940s, when music was real! Although, their parents didn't like that new sound either. All that jivey, jumpin' music of Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, and Harry James. Oh the horrors!

Eh, every generation has their thing they call music that the previous generations don't like. Except Classic Rock...that seems to stand the test of time. Even my son prefers Lynyrd Skynyrd over Lady Gaga! I'm so proud!

So, I leave you with "Whip It". It may not be musical, but it's fun.And I'll always have Andy Williams to keep me in balance!

Credit: American Public Television

Oops...they won't let me embed it, so follow this link!

I had a blast finding links for this post. Please watch 'em! Good stuff! Then leave a comment and tell me what your favorite link is! [Mine is the Glenn Miller link. It's a little lengthy, but ya just don't hear music or see dancing like that anymore! Wow!]

Read my previous post: "Charade"
Read my next post: Super Bowl and Indianapolis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: I reserve the right to remove comments that I feel are offensive, rude, or off-topic.